The Primary School Counselor at One World International School (OWIS), Osaka, plays a fundamental role in supporting the social, emotional, and psychological well-being of students in the primary school. The counsellor provides a safe and nurturing environment for students to discuss and navigate personal and academic challenges.
- Counseling and Guidance:
– Conduct one-on-one counselling sessions with students to address emotional, social, and behavioural concerns.
– Offer guidance to students in developing coping skills, conflict resolution, and decision-making.
- Group Counseling:
– Facilitate group counselling sessions to address common issues affecting students within the primary school.
– Create a safe and supportive space for students to share their experiences and learn from one another.
- Crisis Intervention:
– Provide immediate support and intervention for students facing emotional crises, such as grief, trauma, or personal emergencies.
– Collaborate with school staff to ensure a coordinated response to critical incidents.
- Academic Support:
– Work with students to address academic challenges and enhance study skills.
– Collaborate with teachers and parents to develop strategies for academic improvement.
- Social and Emotional Learning (SEL):
– Develop and implement SEL programs to promote emotional intelligence, empathy, and self-awareness among students.
– Integrate SEL principles into the school curriculum.
- Parent Communication:
– Maintain open communication with parents and guardians, discussing students’ progress and well-being.
– Conduct parent workshops and provide resources on child development and parenting.
- Referrals and Collaborations:
– Collaborate with teachers, administrators, and outside professionals to support students with specialized needs.
– Make referrals for external counselling or therapy services when necessary.
- Record Keeping and Reporting:
– Maintain confidential and accurate records of counselling sessions and student interactions.
– Prepare regular reports and updates for school administration.
Qualifications and Requirements:
– A Master’s degree in School Counseling, Psychology, or a related field.
– A counseling certification and licensure, preferably in Japan.
– Previous experience in school counseling, especially in an international school setting.
– Strong understanding of child and adolescent development, mental health issues, and counseling techniques.
– Excellent communication, active listening, and empathy skills.
– A commitment to maintaining students’ privacy and confidentiality.
– Proficiency in English and Japanese (spoken and written) is preferred.
– Effective collaboration and problem-solving abilities.
Visa Status: Permanent Resident / Instructor Visa / valid work visa
Language: English (fluency)
Location: One World International School (OWIS), Osaka
Reporting To: Head of Primary School