The Primary School Japanese as a Second Language (JSL) Teacher at One World International School (OWIS), Osaka, is responsible for providing high-quality Japanese language instruction to students who are learning Japanese as a second language. The JSL Teacher plays a crucial role in helping students develop their language skills, cultural awareness, and a sense of belonging in Japan.
- Curriculum Development:
– Develop and implement a JSL curriculum that is aligned with the school’s language acquisition goals.
– Create engaging and age-appropriate lessons that promote Japanese language proficiency.
- Classroom Instruction:
– Teach Japanese language classes to primary school students, fostering listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills.
– Utilize a variety of teaching strategies and resources to make lessons interactive and effective.
- Assessment and Feedback:
– Design and administer assessments to gauge student progress and provide timely feedback.
– Offer individualized support to address students’ specific language learning needs.
- Cultural Integration:
– Promote an understanding of Japanese culture, traditions, and customs, helping students adapt to their surroundings.
– Create opportunities for cultural exchange and appreciation within the classroom.
– Adapt instruction to meet the diverse language proficiency levels and learning styles of students.
– Provide additional support to students who require it.
- Parent Communication:
– Maintain regular communication with parents or guardians regarding student progress and language development.
– Attend parent-teacher conferences and address inquiries and concerns.
- Professional Development:
– Stay current with best practices in language instruction and intercultural education.
– Engage in professional development opportunities and collaborate with colleagues.
Qualifications and Requirements:
– A Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field; a teaching certification is required.
– Proficiency in Japanese and English (spoken and written) is preferred.
– Previous experience in teaching Japanese as a Second Language to primary school students is preferred.
– Strong understanding of language acquisition principles and cultural sensitivity.
– Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
– A passion for teaching and fostering a love for language and culture in students.
Visa Status: Permanent Resident / Instructor Visa / valid work visa
Language: Japanese (native), English (conversational)
Location: One World International School (OWIS), Osaka
Reporting To: Head of Primary School