The PYP Coordinator will act as the pedagogical leader of the IB Primary Years Programme in the school.
He or she should be committed to collaborative planning and responsible for ensuring that pedagogical aspects are discussed, information is disseminated and the PYP is planned, taught and assessed collaboratively.
The PYP Coordinator is an informed, reflective practitioner who uses inquiry-led learning strategies within the PYP framework to create positive learning environments which motivate and challenge all learners to become self-regulated, life-long learners and leaders.
- Defining the culture of school based on the IB Learner Profile and the school’s values in liaison with the Primary Leadership Team and Head of School.
- Lead the process of developing or reviewing the school’s curriculum documents, including the programme of inquiry and scope and sequence documents.
- Ensure that agreements are formulated for teaching and learning and for assessment.
- Establish and maintain a record of completed IB Primary Years Programme planners.
- Publish the school’s programme of inquiry.
- Be fully conversant with all PYP publications.
- Be familiar with and promote understanding and use of all PYP documents alongside the school’s assessment agreements.
- Ensure the development of PYP action plan and advise and support the formulation of the school’s strategic development plan.
- Support the teachers responsible for and the students involved in the PYP Exhibition in the final year of the programme.
- Make recommendations regarding professional development opportunities on and off campus.
- Be responsible for the establishment of an inventory of resources to facilitate efficient collaboration.
- Ensure that all PYP teachers have the necessary information to access the Resource Centre.
- Ensure that all requirements of the IB concerning the implementation of the programme are adhered to.
- Circulate all relevant information received from the IB and ensure that teachers and other staff are kept up to date with current developments in the programme.
- Prepare and submit any documentation required for authorisation and evaluation.
- Provide a liaison between the school and IB.
- Provide outreach to the wider PYP community through IB discussion forums, email and hosting visits from other school.
- The PYP Coordinator will develop and maintain effective working relationships with:
- Local and International PYP Coordinator Networks
- School Leadership team
- Primary school teachers
- Administrative staff
- Parents and learners
- Minimum five (5) years in a leadership role in an international school environment, preferably leading the IBPYP programme.
- Candidate must at least possess Master’s degree in Education and a Professional Degree in Teaching/Teaching qualification certificates (PGDE, PGCE, PGCEi, NIE Diploma)/Valid Teacher License/QTS.
- Must have strong understanding, knowledge and experience of IB. Experience of IB PYP in addition preferred.
- Experience in an international school environment (preferred).
- A passionate educator with the ability to deliver inquiry based learning.