Singapore is one of the best places in the world for a child to grow up, according to the annual “End of Childhood” report by the ‘Save the Children’ NGO. Parents love the fact that it is safe for young children to travel independently to school or to after-school classes on public transport or to go to nearby playgrounds with minimal supervision. They also appreciate that their children have access to world-class educational opportunities and health care facilities.
On average, most expatriate families will find that the costs of raising a child in Singapore are on the higher range and that international schooling accounts for a significant share of the expenditure for children.
The Cost of Raising a Child in Singapore: By the Numbers
- $8,000 — The amount of money Singapore parents can expect to spend during pregnancy. This covers pre-natal care, pregnancy supplies and delivery fees.
- $60,000 — The approximate cost of raising a child from birth until age two. These costs encompass necessary supplies, household products that are suitable for a baby, feeding supplies and child care.
- $40,000 — The amount that many parents may spend on their child between the ages of 3 and 6. This amount covers health care costs, child care costs, preschool costs and more.
- $175,000 — The total that some parents in Singapore may spend on their child between the ages of 7 and 19. This cost includes school fees for local (public) schools, technology costs, school supplies, basic necessities, health care costs and pocket money.
Factoring an International School Into the Cost of Child-Rearing in Singapore
Expatriate families who relocate to Singapore often opt to send their children to international schools, as these schools provide a multicultural experience as well as a seamless transition for students. However, some international schools can be quite expensive. Depending on the school that a family selects, the cost to raise their child in Singapore can increase from $300,000 to $800,000 or much more.
For example, the higher-cost international schools in Singapore require families to pay fees as high as $46,000 per year for primary school and $52,000 per year for secondary school. One World International School, however, charges approximately $18,000 per year for primary school and $20,500 per year for secondary school. While OWIS offers a moderate fee structure, it does not compromise when it comes to the quality of the educational experience that it provides.
Our expansive campus and internationally-recognised curricula, comprising IB PYP, Cambridge IGCSE and International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme, provide students with an engaging environment where they will have the ability to become passionate, lifelong learners.
The Benefits of a Moderate-fee International School That Doesn’t Compromise On Quality
When you select an international school that offers a moderate fee structure such as OWIS, you and your family will enjoy financial savings. There are numerous other benefits that your children will enjoy at OWIS.
- They will be immersed in a welcoming and inclusive multicultural environment. Your children will benefit from interacting with students of different backgrounds, and they will learn from a team of teachers who value diversity.
- Your children will have access to state-of-the-art resources and amenities, allowing them to develop the 21st-century skills that they will need to succeed.
- They will receive personalised instruction from highly-qualified teachers who implement a rigorous academic curriculum in their classrooms.
- They will receive additional support and pastoral care from the dedicated educators and staff members who understand the unique needs of expatriate students who are adapting to a new home, school and community.
When you select One World International School for your child, you will find that you can lower the cost of raising a child in Singapore without compromising on the quality of education that your child receives.
At OWIS, we have a variety of programmes and initiatives that will enhance your student’s learning experience. Our campus amenities include performing arts and music spaces, athletic facilities, recreational areas and technology labs. While the fees at OWIS are significantly lower than many other international schools, the value of our educational experience is much higher. Our commitment to providing a holistic, values-driven education in a multicultural environment allows every learner at OWIS to be ready for the future.
We know that you cannot put a price tag on raising your children, but at OWIS, we can help you lower the financial impact of bringing up your children in Singapore without compromising on the quality of education that they receive. At OWIS, your child will benefit from an international curriculum, specialist classes, excellent teachers, robust facilities and ample technological resources.
This blog was originally written in collaboration with Jasween Gill, former Admissions and Communications Director, OWIS Nanyang and Suntec.