At One World International School, we have designed a streamlined application process that makes it easy for you to become part of our community. We admit students throughout the year as we understand that students relocate from different parts of the world, and some students are unable to join us at the start of the academic year in August. Regardless of when your child comes to school at OWIS, they will enjoy a smooth transition and a welcoming atmosphere.
Admission into the school is dependent on your child’s overall application as well as the availability within their particular grade level. This breakdown will provide you with everything you need to know about the entry requirements and admissions process at OWIS:
Entry Requirements at OWIS
- Early Childhood Education: The entry requirements for Early Childhood programme vary based on your child’s age and grade level:
- To be admitted to Early Childhood 1, your child must be at least three years old and able to use the bathroom independently.
- To be admitted to Early Childhood 2, your child must be four years old by September 1.
- To be admitted to Early Childhood 3, your child must be five years old by September 1.
- Primary: During the admissions process for Primary School at OWIS (Grades 1 to 5), we check for the age-appropriateness of your child for their grade, based on their date of birth. We also review a minimum of two years’ previous reports (not applicable for Grade 1 students) to assess their academic ability and behaviour. An assessment or interview may be required should the reports not provide a clear understanding.
There may also be an assessment if your child speaks English as an additional language. Students who need support with the English language have access to our English as an Additional Language (EAL) programme from Grades 1 to 6.
- Secondary Education: If your child is applying for a place in Grades 6 to 12 (Secondary School), we look for a positive attitude to learning, ability to relate positively to other students, learning aptitude and a sufficient level of English to access our curriculum. We also review a minimum of two years’ previous reports and higher grades may require a formal assessment before admission.
(Please note that for the IGCSE pathway (Grades 9-10) and IB DP (Grades 11-12), we typically accept applications for the beginning of the two-year programmes, which would be in Grade 9 and Grade 11. However, under exceptional circumstances, we could consider mid-programme admission. Please get more information from the school in such cases.)
It is important that your child is able to succeed in the classroom environment. Success is largely impacted by a student’s ability to communicate and participate in classroom discussions. This is why language skills are a high priority for our administrators during the application process. While we accept students who speak English as a second language, we expect those students to be proficient enough in English to speak, read and write according to the classroom curriculum from Grade 7 onwards.
Before beginning the admissions process, parents and students are invited to get in touch with the school. We have limited in-person tour opportunities available at this time due to Covid-enforced restrictions; our regular virtual school tours and webinars allow families to learn more about our school even if they cannot visit in-person.
OWIS’ Admissions Process – A Step-by-Step Guide
- The first step in the admissions process is to complete the online application, upload all necessary documents and references, and pay the one-time, non-refundable application fee.
- After receiving your application, our admissions team will conduct an informal interview to get to know you and your child better. Depending on your child’s grade level, we may conduct an assessment test at this time.
- If your child is admitted, we will offer you a place at our school. It’s important to note that several factors are considered before accepting a child, including availability in your child’s grade level and the cap of 30% for each nationality in the student body.
- If you confirm that your child will be accepting their place at OWIS, you will be provided with your online portal login credentials. On the parent portal, you will complete the required e-contract with OWIS.
- After completing your e-contract, there is an option to register for your child’s transportation and order your child’s school uniform online. Following this, you will need to pay the school tuition fees.
Our step-by-step application process is designed to guide you and your child through the transition to OWIS. Our supportive admissions team will work closely with both you and your child so that you feel supported and encouraged every step of the way.
We can’t wait to welcome you and your child to OWIS. For more information about our application and admissions process, join a virtual tour.
(All photographs in this blog article were taken pre-Covid. The school is adhering to hygiene protocols and social distancing measures as recommended by the CPE and Ministry of Health, Singapore.)